The Council on Liberal Education has oversight responsibilities for the University of Minnesota Liberal Education Curriculum for all undergraduate students on the Twin Cities campus.
The Council on Liberal Education is composed of faculty and student representatives (both undergraduate and graduate/professional); members of the academic staff may also be appointed. The Council is charged to:
- review and approve or disapprove all proposals for courses designated for the Diversified Core and Designated Themes of Liberal Education Curriculum.
- formulate the procedures for 1) proposing courses to be added to, and 2) deleting courses from, the Diversified Core and Designated Themes of Liberal Education Curriculum.
- establish and regularly review the criteria for courses which will be considered for designation for the Diversified Core and Designated Themes of Liberal Education Curriculum.
- regularly review for their effectiveness the liberal education requirements.
- advise the Provost on implementation of recommendations concerning liberal education requirements.
- foster continuing discussion among the faculty about issues of liberal and undergraduate education.
- recommend to the Faculty Consultative Committee such actions or policies it deems appropriate.